Who should apply?
- Parents/advocates/youth ages 16 and over who have experiences in some of the below:
- Are currently serving on a committee, commission, or board.
- Are experienced in advocating for education and health equity issues.
- Are knowledgeable about local/regional policies, programs and practices impacting education and health.
- Have strong relationships with community organizations, decision-makers, and public officials
- Plans to seek a seat in the near future on a committee, commission or board to advance equity in
- education and health/wellness.
How long is the institute?
The institute will run for eight sessions between October 5, 2019, through February 15, 2020. The total time commitment is approximately 66 hours.
On what days and times will the sessions be held?
Sessions will be held two Saturdays a month, from 9 AM-2 PM with breaks during the holiday season. Specific dates are listed on the application.
Where will the training take place?
At the Building Blocks for Kids, Family and Community Center at 310 9th Street, Richmond, Ca. 94801. Space is wheelchair accessible.
Is there a stipend?
YES. Participants will receive a $200 stipend at or immediately following graduation, contingent upon completion of the institute.
Is childcare provided?
YES. Applicants are asked to include their childcare needs on the application so we can adequately provide the needed staff.
How do I apply?
Applications will be available on BBK’s website ( www.bbk-richmond.org) and paper copies at the Building Blocks for Kid’s office (312 9th Street, Richmond, CA 94801 Mon - Thursday 9 AM – 4 PM) from August 19-September 5, 2019. The application deadline is September 6, 2019.Applications can be turned in or in person or by email.
When will applicants be notified of acceptance?
Phone interviews will be conducted with short-listed candidates on September 11-13, 2019. Applicants will be notified of acceptance to the institute the week of September 16-18, 2019.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Shakira Reynolds, Community Engagement and Advocacy Coordinator at Building Blocks for Kids at [email protected]or (510) 232-5812 ext 403.
310 - 312 9th Street | Richmond, CA 94801 | (510) 232-5812 | bbk-richmond.org