RICHMOND—In response to violence at or near athletic events in recent weeks, the West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) has implemented several changes in its football operations, officials announced this week.
Changes include moving varsity football games to 5 p.m. on Fridays and restricting student attendance to WCCUSD high school students with proper school identification. Other students may attend if accompanied by an adult.
“The safety of WCCUSD students, staff, and community members is our top priority and these changes will allow our students, athletes, staff and fans to focus on enjoying the games and the educational experiences they offer,” Superintendent Matthew Duffy said. “Some of the measures will be inconvenient and there may be some disagreement, but staff regularly meets to review and refine our safety procedures. We will continue to gather input from students, staff, and community members and will consider implementing those ideas as appropriate or practical.”
Some of the changes include:
- Varsity football games played at WCCUSD schools will be played at 5 p.m. on Friday nights. Junior varsity games will be played on Thursdays at 5 p.m.
- School administrators and/or police officers may cancel games for any safety concern at any time.
- There will be periodic announcements detailing behavior expectations at every game.
- Both teams will meet on the field before the game to promote sportsmanship.
- All spectators must be seated during sporting events, except when the stadium is full. In that case, spectators will be allowed to stand in a prearranged control area.
- Non-student adults 18 and over and District high school students with proper school identification will be allowed into WCCUSD sporting events. Students without IDs or students who do not attend a WCCUSD high school must be accompanied by an adult.
- Additional security personnel and administrators will be assigned to games.
The changes will be in effect for the games being played this week.
This week, Hercules High School hosts Kennedy and Richmond High School hosts Vallejo. Varsity games will take place on Friday, October 4, at 5 p.m. and junior varsity teams will play on Thursday, October 3, at 5 p.m.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter